Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thing #27: Twitter

I signed us up with the username DCTCLibrary, added a profile pic and am now "following" mnmorethings. It was satisfying to get that all set up. I'm intrigued, although I'm not yet completely a-twitter about Twitter for our purposes... yet. Need to think more about possible uses.

I looked at the public library Twitter links that were posted, like the Hibbing PL. That looked really good. But our library doesn't have events or frequent changes of hours, so I'm not sure it would be effective for us at this time. We've recently added a blog to our library home page, and that's where we post New Books, highlighted Web sites, etc.

Really, I'm of two minds about Twitter. I can really see the fun and usefulness of it. On the other hand, it feels like there's so much information coming in to us via blogs, RSS, IMs, etc. that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm finding that the trick is to be very selective in what I subscribe to, so that it's information I really want and not just "static."

I'd be open to trying Twitter in the near future to publish short updates about new books, etc. Seems like a good way to get info out in an even quicker and more informal manner than blogging.

No comments: