Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thing #17: ELM Productivity Tools

I've been using some of these tools already -- that is, the Ebsco databases and ProQuest, and to an extent, NetLibrary. I hadn't realized, however, that you could actually create a web page to collect sources in different formats and with different backgrounds, etc. That opens a whole world of possibilities. I could imagine working with instructors to pull together screens of information for particular courses.

I have to admit I didn't find these tools to be the most intuitive. I'm pretty technically proficient, and I still didn't master the creating of the Ebsco web page. Couldn't figure out how to save screen searches, and the image ones took a lot of jockeying around.

As for NetLibrary, I didn't know you could make notes, which is a useful feature. But this is another case where I had to spend a bit too much time figuring out how to get to the "add note" feature.

P.S. I'm another one who couldn't get the RSS feed for InfoTrac to add to Bloglines. All in all, Thing 17 was the one I had the most trouble with!

No comments: