Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thing #44: The Economy

I clicked on most of the links provided, so I did look at least briefly at most of these sites. I'd say my favorite is Craigslist. In fact, it's thanks to Craigslist that I have the apartment I'm living in! Seems Craigslist has gone from being a little-known, "alternative" classifieds site to the mainstream. In the Jobs section, I even spotted an opening from Minnesota Public Radio. I also know people who have sold furniture via Craigslist.

I thought Mint.com looked really useful, though I didn't go so far as to register. I'm sure there are safeguards built in or else you wouldn't have had a link to the site and it wouldn't have won awards from PC Magazine and Money Magazine, but I do feel a bit nervous at the idea of inputting my accounts into the "cloud." Also, my finances are pretty simple, so I don't need too much help managing my budget.

The garage sale sites were fascinating. I myself don't shop at garage sales because I already have too much stuff :), but if I did, I would find those mash-ups like Weekend Treasures very useful, for sure!

My own tips for economizing?... Get books from the library rather than buying them. If I am tempted to buy a book, I put it on my Amazon wish list and hold it there for a while rather than do an impulse purchase. On the 1st of each month, I allow myself a $25 purchase (which qualifies for free shipping) from my wish list. In the realm of eating, I try to use what's in my cupboards and fridge before buying more food. And when I eat out, if it's a big portion (which is usually the case in restaurants) I try not to pig out and instead ask for a container and bring half home for the next day's lunch. (But OK, OK, sometimes I do pig out :) )

No comments: