Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing #10: Wikis

I edited the practice Wiki, just adding a simple statement: "DCTC Library was here." It was fun -- always kind of a "power moment" to see one's words appear on one of these things for all to see!

I could see the wikis being useful in creating, maintaining and adding to our online subject guides. As it is now, it's sort of a ponderous process. If I see something I want to add to a subject guide, I have to go into the files and change the code, then it goes to the head librarian, who sends a batch of these up the college webmaster once we get enough sites we want to update.

We've also briefly discussed using a wiki for staff announcements and to keep track of everyone's schedules, which vary widely. The trick would be to get everyone accustomed to using it and checking it regularly.

As for the interesting question of instructors banning wikipedia as a source for papers... As a librarian, I cringe at the idea of "banning" any information form. But what I tell my students in library instruction sessions is, basically: There are SO many forms of truly reliable information out there on the 'net. And Google and Wikipedia have their place, and I personally use them a lot. But when I want something that I truly know will be reliable, something that's been vetted for accuracy, something an instructor would give you a decent grade for using, I go to lii.org or to one of the sources you find via CQ Researcher or SIRS. In a pinch, for some tough-to-find or very current issues, Wikipedia can give you good links and so can Google, but you have to be a bit skeptical and use your judgement. So that's my basic shpiel...

No comments: