Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thing #7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

In our college and library, e-mail is primarily used by staff contacting each other. We rarely get e-mail from students.

As for IMing, we put up a meebo widget a few months ago, and it appears on the Library home page in a box labeled "Ask a Librarian." At first, we weren't getting any hits. But I've been publicizing it in my bibliographic instruction sessions, and now we're starting to get modest use. No one's used it for in-depth reference yet. Usually it's a student wanting to activate his/her card in order to use the subscription databases from off-campus.

However, just yesterday, for the very first time, we got added to a student's buddy list -- a milestone!

We've been participating in webinars for some time here. As part of MnSCU, we have had much of our ALEPH training via webinar. And I've done MINITEX webinars, as well. It's a great tool, though sometimes challenging to find a space where it'll be quiet and you won't be disturbed.

I can't see us using texting because our building is basically a "bunker" (that's its affectionate nickname) and I've never heard of anyone getting cell phone reception in this building. I'm no stranger to texting, however, thanks to my son, who sends me messages. At first I was all thumbs and sent some really crazy messages, largely because the "predictive text" feature was turned on. But then I read the manual and saw that I could turn that off, and my messages got more readable!

No comments: