Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Thing #34: Online Answer Sites

I can totally see why these online answer sites are appealing. People can get quick answers in an unintimidating way, without having to leave home. Also, lots of people use forums and various types of social networking. These sites have a similar feel, so they'd be comfortable for people.

The questions I saw ran the gamut: Some were academic, like "I need to know about WWI and WWII for a history assignment." Many were from people seeking answers for practical questions regarding needs in their lives: "How do I refinish a table?" And then some were opinion questions from people looking to start -- or provoke -- a conversation: "Is anyone else tired of hearing about Barack Obama?" and "Am I considered a racist if I don't like Barack Obama?"

The academic questions -- like the first one mentioned -- especially broad, open-ended questions like that one -- would best be asked by asking a librarian for help. The practical sort of questions, like the one re: wood finishing, would also be a good library question but could also be answered by other folks who have knowledge of the field. So that one could go either way, the caveat being that if you ask the question of the general public, you can either get excellent or very poor answers. As for the final question, those people are just looking for a chat group!

Some of these folks on the answer sites may be aware of the library but may be thinking of it primarily as a place to pick up books, CDs and DVDs. Sadly, I'm not sure how many people know what a reference librarian is these days or would think to ask one. They also probably don't know that you can reach your librarian via email or chat. So they go with what they know and what's easiest.

The Slam the Boards events sound like a good idea for getting the word out about librarians. I checked out their wiki, but I don't think I would participate, mainly for lack of time. For the same reason, I didn't answer any questions -- mainly because it would have involved signing in and, I presume, creating a profile, etc. Maybe someday!

No comments: